[Ads-l] Voice-over heard: "Help will come too late...

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri May 26 18:04:32 UTC 2017

Jespersen discusses this use of “never” in his classic paper “Negation in English and Other Languages” (now celebrating its Jespersentennial):

=================
Another way of strengthening the negative is by using some
word meaning 'never' without its temporal signification…

Engl. _never_ also in some connexions comes to mean merely
'not': Kipling L. 109 I never knew it was so chilly [= didn't
know] 1 James S. 6 he knew that for a moment Brown never
moved.

_Never_ in this sense is especially frequent before _the_ with a comparative (as in _nevertheless_), and in the combination
_never a_ 'no', which has become a kind of compound
(adjunct) pronoun, used to a great extent in some
dialects (see EDD.: _never a_), and very frequent in colloquial
English, especially in the phrase _never a word_ [with lots of examples and equivalents in Danish]

_Never_ is also used in surprised exclamations like Di F. 680
Why, it's never Bella!   Shaw M. 203 Why, it's never No.
Of course some of these (from Jespersen 1917: 17-18) are now rather archaic.

LH