[Ads-l] RES: cache - cachet confusible

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun May 28 17:32:20 UTC 2017

Oh, I just thought you might be counting the diphthong at the end of /latei/ as occupying two syllables.  Another factor in the ultima pronunciation (besides general hyperfrogization, if that’s the technical term) may be the role of the caffè itself (as opposed to the milk), which would allow for stress harmony (or for alignment via the “rhythm rule”) as "caf-FAY lat-TAY” as well as along the usual lines as “CAF-fay LAT-tay”.  Not that I’ve ever head anyone request or offer the former in so many syllables, but I’ve led a sheltered life.

LH