[Ads-l] OT: comments re: assumptions about dialects was Re: Miscellanea: Well, that makes sense.

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Tue May 30 05:31:40 UTC 2017

It's years (possibly fifty) since I read _The Palm Wine Drinkard_ (and thanks
for reminding me -- it's a fine book, and thoroughly readable), but my immediate
thought was that I'd never till now considered a possible connection between the
register there and that in The Spanish Prisoner (Electronic Variety).

As the book is available online --
https://archive.org/details/ThePalmWineDrinkardAndMyLifeInTheBushOfGhostsAmosTutuola
-- I nipped across and reread the first paragraph.  I'm not, yet, convinced that
there is a connection -- that is, that the register of the Nigerian Scam emails
(if there is, in fact, a consistent register between the various instances)
reflects a specifically *Nigerian* register of speech, in the way that Amos
Tutuola's prose does.

I'm prepared to stand corrected here, but I think I'd like a little detail as to
how the 419 Scam Register is specifically Nigerian, and (related) whether or not
it's "authentic" -- that, rather than Sanders of the River territory.  (I once
started to collect a set of 419s, but no longer have it.)  An extended analysis,
based on a range of instances, dated at least roughly, would be more than
interesting.  My impression was that they tended to evolve over time.

Has anyone done this?  My own reaction is both impressionistic and more than a
little uninformed, so I'd be delighted if either Herb or Margaret (or both)
would expand on this a bit.

I don't know why I never followed through on the rest of Tutuola's work, so it
looks as if I have a treat in store.

Robin.