[Ads-l] bakery bread

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 1 01:50:44 UTC 2017

I don’t know how people actually viewed things, but I think it’s an assumption to say that being made at the source would have been considered preferable to being made at a creamery. Since farmers were generally small-time operations, I would imagine that creamery butter might have had more appeal.

See http://www.webexhibits.org/butter/history-creamery.html <http://www.webexhibits.org/butter/history-creamery.html>, particularly the following page (http://www.webexhibits.org/butter/history-packages.html <http://www.webexhibits.org/butter/history-packages.html>): "Many of the dairies in these areas developed a craftsmanship and quality of product that had an appreciable trace acceptance even in the early 1900’s.”

See also the PDF (http://bit.ly/2qCqUEa <http://bit.ly/2qCqUEa>) “Growth and Change in the 1900s” which implies that creameries were better set-up to make butter than farmers (who made “home-churned butter”).

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA