[Ads-l] "_Lawfully-wedded_"...

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 1 04:56:13 UTC 2017

has just about completely replaced the original "_lawful, wedded..."  Now,
I see that this kind of hypercorrection is spreading, even into cliches in
which it makes no sense.

"This ... was linked to the remembrance of the _faithfully-departed_ on All
Souls' Day, Nov. 2."

https://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2017/10/19/irish-folklife-expert-says-halloween-traditions-began-ireland

Back in the day, we Catholics - even those of us without benefit of a
Jesuit education - used the phrase:

"... the remembrance of the souls of the _faithful_ departed ..."

These were understood to be the souls of the faithful departed in
purgatory, since prayer and sacrifice could shorten their stay. Nothing
could help the souls in hell and the souls in heaven didn't need help. But,
since only God knows who is where, the day is for the remembrance of the
souls of _all_ of the faithful departed.
--
-Wilson
-----