[Ads-l] Most Notable Quotations of 2017 So Far?

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue Nov 7 18:38:55 UTC 2017

I’m starting to think about my annual list, run by the Associated Press, of the top 10 most notable quotations of the year.  By “notable” I mean “important” or “famous” or “particularly revealing of the spirit of our times” rather than necessarily being eloquent or admirable.

I would welcome suggestions of notable quotations from 2017, particularly ones from politics or popular culture or entertainment or sports or business or technology.

Here are some of the contenders that I am already aware of:

You're saying it's a falsehood ... Sean Spicer, our press secretary -- gave alternative facts.
Kellyanne Conway, 1/22/17

Alternative facts aren't facts, they are falsehoods.
Chuck Todd

Nobody knew health care could be so complicated.
Donald Trump, 2/27/17

[Explaining the firing of James Comey to Russian visitors:]  I just fired the head of the F.B.I.  He was crazy, a real nut job.  I faced great pressure because of Russia.  That's taken off.
Donald Trump, 5/10/17

[On the confrontation in Charlottesville, Virginia:]  I think there's blame on both sides, you look at, you look at both sides.
Donald Trump, 8/15/17

Make our planet great again.
Emanuel Macron, 6/1/17

The quotations above are all similar in nature, as might be expected given the current political landscape, but I clearly don't want all of the top 10 to be of that nature, nor to all be political in subject matter.

Fred Shapiro