[Ads-l] Nouning verbs again--the end game?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Nov 9 16:42:54 UTC 2017

> On Nov 9, 2017, at 11:33 AM, Andy Bach <afbach at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
>> more than a couple of years. from my blog in 2010:
>> 11/10/10: Enjoy the Go
>
> https://arnoldzwicky.org/2010/11/10/enjoy-the-go/
>
> "... That is of course socially useful, but the Charmin people are
> primarily interested in their product as used for wiping behinds. I don’t
> know if talking a lot about the pleasure of urination would have
> disqualified candidates from the competition, or if failure to emphasize
> the pleasure of cleaning up after defecation would have."
>
> Just to note, I believe women use tp after urination so, I guess, they're
> twice the market for Charmin that men are.

True, but by the same token, both women and men are accustomed to use the product in connection with the pleasure of cleaning up after defecation (and to use more of it when doing so), while only the former group use the product after enjoying the pleasure of urination, which is another reason for Charmin to focus their attention on behind-wiping.   Besides, despite the relevant urban dictionary entry, the rhetorical question of whether bears piss in the woods is rarely raised.

LH