[Ads-l] TK

Thu Nov 9 19:00:32 UTC 2017

Here is an example in 1921 where it seems that "Hed to Kum" was
inserted by an editor and it accidentally appeared in the final
publication.

Date: April 1921
Periodical: Feedingstuffs
Article: The Stockman Is Coming Back
AUTHOR: F.C. Minkler (American Feed Manufacturers Assn)
Quote Page 54
Database: Google Books

https://books.google.com/books?id=uus9AQAAMAAJ&q=%22hed+to%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
If it pays to feed 50 cent corn to $10.00 hogs or $10.00 cattle, it
will pay to tuck the same feed under the more pliable skins of the
pure bred animal, although the grade feeder is apt to come to life
sooner than the pure bred, simply because the turn over will take
place with a smaller initial investment and
Hed to Kum
[End excerpt]

Google Books shows a snippet match circa 1923. The data shown in
snippet matches is sometimes inaccurate. Searching for "1923" within
the book reveals a snippet with the name of the author "George C.
Bastian" and "Chicago, October, 1923." This snippet probably appears
at the end of the preface. So the date is probably ok. But the
information should be verified with hardcopy.

Year: 1923
Title: Editing the Day's News: An Introduction to Newspaper
Copyreading, Headline Writing, Illustration, Makeup, and General
Newspaper Methods
Author: George C. Bastian
Quote Page 228
Database: Google Books Snippet; this data may be inaccurate and should
be verified with hardcopy

https://books.google.com/books?id=BgHba-Ic3akC&focus=searchwithinvolume&q=%22hed+to%22

[Begin extracted text]
H.T.C., H.T.K. — Head to come,
or "hed to kum," indorsed on copy
to indicate story is running and
[End extracted text]

Below is a match in 1946 for "HTK" and "Head to Kum" that is fully
visible in HathiTrust.

Year: 1946
Title: Editing the Small City Daily