[Ads-l] beltway

Stanton McCandlish smccandlish at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 13 22:18:39 UTC 2017

In the DC sense, it's become a proper name (i.e., it's not just a beltway,
but the Beltway, both in the literal sense of the highway ring around the
capital, and the figurative sense ("inside the Beltway", "a Beltway-bandit
firm") referring to the insider culture of Washington DC lobbyists and
government contractors.  That usage was already very firmly entrenched when
I was working there in 1993.

Reminds me of "Bridge and Tunnel", a usually pejorative descriptor of
monied people who come into Manhattan for shopping and nightlife. It has
since (no later than the mid-1990s) been adopted in San Francisco to refer
to people from the North Bay area, in the same sense, due to there also
coincidentally being a bridge and tunnel between the city and the "wine
country" where these people live.   Similar to that, in turn, is "the
Tenderloin" as a descriptor of a rough urban neighborhood with a strong
illicit economy, ripe for police graft and extortion; that also originated
as NYC slang, and it became used the same way in SF, but is now actually
the official name of a neighborhood there.

--
Stanton McCandlish
McCandlish Consulting

+1 415 234 3992