[Ads-l] Meaningless "so" at start of reply sentence

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 14 19:59:01 UTC 2017

Heaney's use of "So" came up in the comments on the Language Log post I
linked to.

---
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=2570#comment-81190
[Dan Lufkin:] Seamus Heany begins his translation of Beowulf with "So. The
Spear-Danes in days gone by…." The "so" renders OE "Hwæt." Heany comments
on his choice (Introduction, p. xxvii):
"In Hiberno-English Scullionspeak, the particle 'so' came naturally to the
rescue, because in that idiom 'so' operates as an expression which
obliterates all previous discourse and narrative, and at the same time
functions as an exclamation calling for immediate attention. So, 'so' it
was."
---

Also discussed in comments on these posts:

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=1872
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=4021