[Ads-l] Heard: spoken by an Australian from New South Wales

Dave Hause dwhause at CABLEMO.NET
Thu Nov 23 18:36:16 UTC 2017

618K raw G-hits for "pillowslip" and 28M for "pillowcase."

Dave Hause

-----Original Message-----
From: Wilson Gray
Sent: Thursday, November 23, 2017 12:01 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Heard: spoken by an Australian from New South Wales

"pillowslip" < _pillowcase_

Mildly surprising. "Pillowslip" was the ordinary term that I used as a
child, in East Texas. I have no idea whether this form is used anywhere
else in the U.S., bedclothes not being a particularly common topic of
conversation outside of the family. IAC, it seems to me that _pillowcase_
is the preferred term, in Yankspeak.

--
-Wilson
-----