[Ads-l] Announcement: Civil War linguistics

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 4 22:00:42 UTC 2017

Good reading! I almost got homesick from seeing forms like _taken_ for
_took_, “He sounds/talks like he’s got a mouth full/mouthful of _cush_!”
(never seen it written out, heard it a million times; Andy Griffith’s “a
_mouth'ul_” suggests _mouthful_ ) = “His speech is inarticulate”; the
spelling, _eye dea_, with stress on “eye,” matching the pronunciation;
“cracker  noun  A thin, hard biscuit,” a friend from Ipswich, England,
called crackers “biscuits” and cookies “sweet biscuits”; “_strong_ bacon
and wormy crackers”, wherein _strong_ = “having an offensive odor” (cf.
DARE); _for to_.

“hog jaw … noun  variant form of hog jowl” I’ve long wondered whether BE
_jaw_ “cheek” (when I was a child, why jawbreakers were called
“jawbreakers” was a complete mystery; “chinbreaker” would have been clear.)
< _jowl_. In my idiolect, _jowl_ rhymes with “owl” and _jaw_ rhymes with
“awe.” So, no. But, also clearly, there apparently were and, perhaps, still
are many people for whom “jaw” and “jowl” have the same vowel.

“hog meat_: pork; a bullying term for a fat person”; _light bread_: common
in Texas; a line from a ’50’s R&B song: “They had milk and _light bread_,
but didn’t have no meat.” “liver and lights_  … ; lights refers
specifically to the lungs”: exactly!; _scrapple_: good eats; a Charlie
Parker tune: “_Scrapple_ from the Apple.”