[Ads-l] bitcoin as generic term for cryptocurrencies

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 6 19:57:29 UTC 2017

Unfortunately, I didn’t save the tweet, but someone once noted that “bitcoin” is sometimes used as a generic term for cryptocurrency.

In "IMF director Christine Lagarde: Bitcoin is too expensive for me at the…” (https://www.cnbc.com/video/2017/10/06/imf-director-christine-lagarde-bitcoin-is-too-expensive-for-me-at-the-moment.html), Christine Lagarde says in response to a question from Sara Eisen:

—
You know, what the Chinese authorities have decided is to just ban the initial offering of bitcoins
—

China recently prohibited initial coin offerings (ICO).

N.B. She is not a native speaker of English.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA