[Ads-l] Irish bull: I don't like spinach, and I'm glad I don't, because if I liked it I'd eat it, and I just hate it

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Oct 12 16:54:24 UTC 2017

Those are great, in all the versions.  I’m especially fond of the eels one except it’s missing the punchline (“…et je ne peux pas les souffrir”, “…because I hate the damn things”, or whatever).

Just in time for my class handout on possible worlds, along with a graffito I’ve been fond of since I first encountered in on a men’s room stall at USC in 1972:

“I wish I could be what I was when I wished I could be what I am.”

Wonder when and where that one got started.

LH