[Ads-l] mad king

Chris Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Sun Oct 15 19:23:09 UTC 2017

I think there are a lot of options for which historical figure or
literary character a speaker might think about when they evoke the "mad
king" trope.

My first thought would have been to Ludwig II of Bavaria, while a French
friend first thought of Charles VI of France.

For the English-speaking world, those with a solid education in
literature will probably point to King Lear, or some other Shakespearean
mad kings. There's apparently also a Mad King (Thorn) character in the
Guildwars2 video game franchise.

(And of course a Wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mentally_ill_monarchs )

Chris