[Ads-l] "Niger" or "Niger"?

Salikoko S. Mufwene mufw at UCHICAGO.EDU
Thu Oct 19 20:05:18 UTC 2017

The Nee-ZHAIR pronunciation is also consistent with the shift to "Côte
d'Ivoire" [ko:t divwaR] from "Ivory Coast". In the case of "Niger", the
pronunciation applies to the country's name only, not to the Niger
River, which has kept the traditional English pronunciation. These
changes in pronunciation are political statements of some sort, I think,
initiated by the political leaders of these States.

Salikoko S. Mufwenes-mufwene at uchicago.edu
The Frank J. McLoraine Distinguished Service Professor of Linguistics and the College
Professor, Committee on Evolutionary Biology
Professor, Committee on the Conceptual & Historical Studies of Science
University of Chicago                  773-702-8531; FAX 773-834-0924
Department of Linguistics
1115 East 58th Street
Chicago, IL 60637, USA
http://mufwene.uchicago.edu/