[Ads-l] [Non-DoD Source] "Niger" or "Niger"?

Salikoko S. Mufwene mufw at UCHICAGO.EDU
Fri Oct 20 02:17:49 UTC 2017

There's a systematic difference between /Nigérien/ (e.g., national of
Niger--see also the Wikipedia English article on /Niger/), similar to
/Ivoirien/ (disfavoring /Ivorian/), and /Nigerian/ (e.g., national of
Nigeria).

Salikoko S. Mufwene                    s-mufwene at uchicago.edu
The Frank J. McLoraine Distinguished Service Professor of Linguistics and the College
Professor, Committee on Evolutionary Biology
Professor, Committee on the Conceptual & Historical Studies of Science
University of Chicago                  773-702-8531; FAX 773-834-0924
Department of Linguistics
1115 East 58th Street
Chicago, IL 60637, USA
http://mufwene.uchicago.edu/