[Ads-l] [Non-DoD Source] "Niger" or "Niger"?

Salikoko S. Mufwene mufw at UCHICAGO.EDU
Sat Oct 21 19:31:21 UTC 2017

I had the hint from the time when citizens of Zaire, now Dem. Rep. of
Congo, were referred to in English as /Zairian/, /Zairese/, or
/Zairois/, with the latter preferred in the US foreign service and
people more familiar with French. So, I googled /Nigerois///(with the
last syllable pronounced [Rwa]; and there it was, in Wikitionary. It was
apparently used by CIA agents, in alternation with /Nigérien/Nigerien/.
The last syllable has a nasalized E; the /iEn/ pronunciation is
feminine. People in Nigeria especially avoided any noun/adjective close
to /Nigerian/, to avoid any confusion.

Sali.

Salikoko S. Mufwene                    s-mufwene at uchicago.edu
The Frank J. McLoraine Distinguished Service Professor of Linguistics and the College
Professor, Committee on Evolutionary Biology
Professor, Committee on the Conceptual & Historical Studies of Science
University of Chicago                  773-702-8531; FAX 773-834-0924
Department of Linguistics
1115 East 58th Street
Chicago, IL 60637, USA
http://mufwene.uchicago.edu/