[Ads-l] Heard: _forehead_ > "forrid" [fOrId]

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Oct 23 14:45:53 UTC 2017

> On Oct 23, 2017, at 10:17 AM, Charles C Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU> wrote:
>
> In the old nursery rhyme, it rhymes with "horrid."  The little girl in the rhyme may have been badly behaved, but she wasn't a whore-head.
>

> —Charlie

Alternate version:

There is a little girl
Who has a little curl
Right in the middle of her fore-head.
When she is good
She is very very good
But when she is bad she’s a warhead.

(Have to change it to present tense for metrical reasons.). Or in the milder version, “when she is bad she’s a sore-head".

Of course, for those who have /farhEd/ rather than /fOrhEd/ she’d have to be a tar-head, a bar-head, or something of the like.

LH