[Ads-l] "receipts" = "proof"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 31 17:49:39 UTC 2017

> Wow, I have no memory of this during the WOTY vote! I must have dozed off
during that part.

You and I both, Neal. This is news to me, too.

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 11:39 PM, Neal Whitman <nwhitman at ameritech.net>
wrote:

> Wow, I have no memory of this during the WOTY vote! I must have dozed off
> during that part. Thanks for the link to the "Among the New Words".
>

> On 10/30/2017 11:28 PM, Ben Zimmer wrote:
>
>> "Receipts" was the runner-up (behind "woke") in the Slang Word of the Year
>> category in the 2016 ADS WOTY voting.
>>
>> https://www.americandialect.org/wp-content/uploads/2016-Word
>> -of-the-Year-PRESS-RELEASE.pdf
>>
>> You can see our "Among the New Words" treatment of "receipts" in the May
>> 2017 issue of American Speech (pp. 214-5).
>>
>> https://bit.ly/ATNW92-2
>>

>> On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 11:19 PM, Neal Whitman <nwhitman at ameritech.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I recently became aware of the word "receipts" to mean "proof", not
>>> necessarily proof involving receipts. My son was imagining proving to
>>> someone that his story about a peer of his was true by showing them some
>>> screen caps of text exchanges. He said, "I'd be like, 'Take a look at
>>> these
>>> receipts!'" I didn't know that the apps he used for communicating showed
>>> read-receipts, and even if they did, why would someone need proof that
>>> this
>>> person read HIS messages instead of proof of the messages THEY sent to
>>> HIM?
>>> He explained this more general meaning.
>>>
>>> A couple of days ago, I saw this thread of tweets, in which "receipts" is
>>> used this way, and also is called out: https://twitter.com/bluelightt
>>> v/status/924091177724387329
>>>
>>> The top definition on Urban Dictionary is from 2016, and matches my son's
>>> usage precisely:
>>> receipts <https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=receipts>
>>> Evidence or proof <https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=proof
>>> Often in the form <https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=form>
>>> of screenshots or saved <https://www.urbandictionary.c
>>> om/define.php?term=saved> snaps.
>>> Emma: Bitch where the fuck did she say she was going <
>>> https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=going>
>>> Sophie <https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Sophie>: Pull
>>> up <
>>> https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Pull%20up> them receipts
>>> by PhoodoVoodoVaVaVoom <https://www.urbandictionary.c
>>> om/author.php?author=PhoodoVoodoVaVaVoom> November 21, 2016
>>>
>>> The second-most popular is the earliest UD definition, which despite
>>> being
>>> incredibly ineptly written, offers a possible origin story to follow up:
>>> receipts <https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=receipts>
>>> 1. To disbelive something <https://www.urbandictionary.c
>>> om/define.php?term=something> so much that some kind of hard evidence is
>>> required.

>>> 1a. "Miss Whitney does not do crack <https://www.urbandictionary.c
>>> om/define.php?term=crack>, o.k.! Crack <https://www.urbandictionary.c

>>> https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=got> a receipt from the
>>> https://www.urbandictionary.com/tags.php?tag=purchase>#sell <
>>> https://www.urbandictionary.com/tags.php?tag=sell>#aquire <
>>> https://www.urbandictionary.com/tags.php?tag=aquire>
>>> by Meni <https://www.urbandictionary.com/author.php?author=Meni> October
>>> 23, 2006
>>>
>>> The Diane Sawyer interview seems to have happened in 2002. Here's a
>>> YouTube clip uploaded in 2009:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdyaLWMt6qA
>>>
>>> Houston actually does say, "I want to see the receipts from whoever I
>>> bought the drugs from." On the one hand, she seems to be referring to
>>> actual receipts. On the other hand, I wasn't aware that drug dealers
>>> wrote
>>> receipts.
>>>
>>> You can also find animated GIFs of this clip.
>>>

>>> Neal

> --
> Dr. Neal Whitman
> Lecturer, ESL Composition