[Ads-l] Green=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=99s=3A_?=_stuff_

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 11 08:40:21 UTC 2017

> So sexist!

Can’t help it. Back in my youth, it was assumed that women and girls were
unaware of any slang terms of a sexual nature or any other kind of “bad
word” or even of “non-standard” slang, in general, because they had never
heard them, since no gentleman used such language in the presence of a lady.

This led to such oddities as a college classmate tittering to me a joke
whose punch-line contained the phrase, “God damn.” I heard a cruder version
of the same joke when I was in the first grade, for heaven’s sake. The
punch-line of her version:

“Will you pass those Goddamn peas?!”

The punch-line that I heard in the first grade was:

“Pass them peas before I shit on you!”

Another time, I was startled to hear a female friend use “cocksman.” If she
had had the slightest clue as to the meaning of _cock_ in that term - the
mirror-image of what it means in standard English, but still… -  she would
have cut her tongue out before using it

It was this that led me to claim, in these pages, that women knew nothing
about slang. Nowadays, thanks to the popularity of rap and hip-hop, once
thuggishly-manly turns of phrase have been totally emasculated. I hear
white women in sit-coms casually using language that, in my lost youth,
_black_women had never heard and wouldn’t have understood, if they had
heard it, as in the case cited. There was a commercial featuring two white
ladies at a table at a sidewalk cafe. A good-looking man passes by and one
white lady says to the other, “I’d like to hit that!” On another sit-com, a
white lady used the phrase, “split it, hit it, and quit it.”

Lord have mercy! In my day, only the crudest, no-class,
reform-school-drop-out rogues hanging on the corner smoking reefer on the
poor side of Darktown would use those turns of phrase! In fact, at that
time, it wouldn’t even have been grammatical for a woman to say, “I‘d  like
to hit that,” as Larry has demonstrated, writing pseudonymously, in a paper
published in the McCawley festschrift, Studies out in Left Field.

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain