[Ads-l] Today's (Monday) Google doodle

Tue Sep 19 03:17:44 UTC 2017

To celebrate the anniversary here is a dictionary joke attributed to Johnson:
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/09/22/improper-search/

[Begin excerpt]
Samuel Johnson released “A Dictionary of the English Language” in
1755, and the earliest printed evidence of this anecdote known to QI
appeared in April 1785. An article titled “Dr. Johnson at Oxford, and
Lichfield” in the London periodical “The Gentleman’s Magazine”
recounted a meeting between the great linguist and an admirer:

A literary lady expressing to Dr. J. her approbation of his Dictionary
and, in particular, her satisfaction at his not having admitted into
it any improper words; “No, Madam,” replied he, “I hope I have not
daubed my fingers. I find, however that you have been looking for
them.”
[End excerpt[

Garson