[Ads-l] feminine "cock" in England

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 20 15:35:29 UTC 2017

Seems I posted an English ex. from the 19th century at some point, though I
can't find it quickly in the archive.

This is from a traditional song collected in Gloucestershire in 1978.
Note  the archaic use of "leather."  The diction generally is 19th C. Many
texts of the song have been collected and printed (since the 1960s), but
this is the only one I've seen with "cock."

http://glostrad.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/151-
Danny-Brazil-Crabfish-TheSC.pdf

"She run downstairs for to piddle in the pot....
Up jumped the little crabfish and caught her by the cock.

"Oh husband, oh husband, oh husband come hither,
The devil's in the chamber and got me by the leather."

JL