[Ads-l] rude: noisy? frolicksome?

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 25 21:36:40 UTC 2017

> wooden nutmeg  n.  [compare Nutmeg State n. at nutmeg n.and adj. Compounds
2a <http://www.oed.com.proxy.library.nyu.edu/view/Entry/129313#eid33989130>
] U.S. a false or fraudulent thing; a fraud, cheat, or deception; also in
more indirect allusions, as representing the type of something useless or
worthless.

Interest, possibly, is that the soccer maneuver, where you trick your
defender in to sticking out a foot and then slip the ball between their
legs and go around them, is called a "nutmeg."  Always supposed it had a
testicular reference but maybe just it's just the fake-out that does it.

Andy Bach,
afbach at gmail.com
608 658-1890 cell
608 261-5738 wk