[Ads-l] "tenet" > "tenant" alive and well

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Apr 8 13:11:48 UTC 2018

Yes, this one has a perfectly good entry on the eggcorn database site (http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/index.php?s=tenant), but I just came across a citing/sighting—

She knew that stories did have the power to change things: the past and the future, even the present. She had been an agnostic since graduate school, but if there was one tenant of Judaism with which she agreed, it was this: the power of words.

Chloe Benjamin (2018), _The Immortalists_, p. 290

—that I thought was worth noting for two reasons.  One is the fact that unlike the web-based examples at the entry, this one occurs in what I presume is a carefully edited text (a literary novel published by a major house, G. P. Putnam’s Sons) and the other is the support it offers for ecumenism.  After all, the current entry includes tenants (< tenets) from Islam, Christianity, and Satanism (along with naturalism and mercantilism), so it’s only fair that we have an instance from Judaism to help fill in the full monotheistic dance card.  After all, you can’t have a tenant without a land-Lord.

LH