[Ads-l] Metonymy: cartridge-box, ballot-box, jury-box, and band-box

Margaret Lee 0000006730deb3bf-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Thu Apr 12 09:54:11 UTC 2018

 There was a women's fashion store (trendy) in Lynchburg, VA in the 50's-'60's named the Band Box.
--Margaret

    On ‎Thursday‎, ‎April‎ ‎12‎, ‎2018‎ ‎12‎:‎15‎:‎36‎ ‎AM‎ ‎EDT, Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

 Off-topic:

> Metonymy

Thanks, Garson! I've been trying to recall the word, _metaphony_, for
months-uh!

"The Bandbox": name of a chain of dry-cleaners in StL: "When you step out
of The Bandbox. life will step up for you!"

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 12:55 AM, ADSGarson O'Toole <
adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was asked to explore a saying about boxes employed by Stephen
> Decatur Miller, Frederick Douglass, and many others. The earliest
> version I found was dated October 9, 1830 and referred to:
>
> [Begin excerpt]
> the ballot box, the jury box and the cartouch box
> [End excerpt]
>
> Background and details are available here:
> https://quoteinvestigator.com/2018/04/09/ballot/
>
> If a list member can find and share earlier instances that would be
> great, but this message is about a citation dated October 9, 1841:
>
> [Begin excerpt]
> What boxes govern the world? The cartridge-box, the ballot-box, the
> jury-box, and the band-box.--New York paper.
> [Begin excerpt]
>
> I am not sure what the band-box represents. My best guess is: fashion
> and stylishness.  Following fashion is desirable or necessary; also,
> fashionable people exert power in society. The addition of the fourth
> box was done with comical overtones, I think.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Here are some senses and citations for bandbox from the OED.
>
> [Begin excerpt]
> bandbox, n.
>
> a. A slight box of card-board or very thin chip covered with paper,
> for collars, caps, hats, and millinery; originally made for the
> ‘bands’ or ruffs of the 17th c. Also fig., a fragile or flimsy
> structure or one in which the accommodation is restricted.
> . . .
> b. to look as if one came out of a bandbox (and similar phrases): to
> look extremely smart and neat. orig. U.S.
>
> 1825  S. Woodworth Forest Rose i. i  He is a genteel, delightful
> looking fellow, neat as a starched tucker fresh from a banbox [sic].
>
> 1833  Knickerbocker 1 198  The old gentleman..popped into the room,
> looking as if he had stepped out of a bandbox.
>
> 1869  ‘M. Twain’ Innocents Abroad xxxviii. 410  They are
> all..exceedingly neat and cleanly..as if they were just out of a
> band-box.
> [End excerpt]
>
> Garson

-Wilson