[Ads-l] Quote: In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, while in practice there is

Sat Apr 14 09:41:32 UTC 2018

The saying in the subject line has been attributed to Yogi Berra,
Albert Einstein, Richard Feynman, Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut, and
others. Several people asked me to explore the provenance of this
saying. Previous researchers traced it back to 1984.

The earliest strong match I've located appeared in "The Yale Literary
Magazine" of February 1882 which was written and edited by students.
Benjamin Brewster who was a member of the class of 1882 wrote about an
argument he had engaged in with a philosophical friend about theory
versus practice. His companion accused him of committing a vulgar
error:

[ref] 1882 February, The Yale Literary Magazine, Conducted by the
Students of Yale College, Volume 47, Number 5, Portfolio: Theory and
Practice by Benjamin Brewster, Quote Page 202, New Haven, Connecticut.
(Google Books Full View) link [/ref]

https://books.google.com/books?id=iJ9MAAAAMAAJ&q=%22no+difference%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
I heard no more, for I was lost in self-reproach that I had been the
victim of "vulgar error." But afterwards, a kind of haunting doubt
came over me. What does his lucid explanation amount to but this, that
in theory there is no difference between theory and practice, while in
practice there is?
[End excerpt]

Brewster was humorously summarizing the position of his friendly
opponent, and I believe that the saying should be credited to
Brewster.

The Quote Investigator article is here:
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2018/04/14/theory/

[Begin acknowledgement]
Great thanks to Steve Hoffenberg, Maria Konnikova, Julia Galef, Peter
Sokolowski, Barry Schachter, Casciano Pasqualino, Shaun Partlow,
Shantanu Sapru, and Daniel Gackle whose inquiries led QI to formulate
this question and perform this exploration. Special thanks to previous
researchers, e.g., Barry Popik who pointed to the 1984 textbook by
Walter J. Savitch as a first citation. Also, thanks to the researchers
at Snopes who pointed to the same textbook. In addition, thanks to the
volunteer Wikiquote editors who pointed to Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut
who was born in the 1950s.
[Begin acknowledgement]

Feedback welcome
Garson