[Ads-l] Facebookery: positive _anymore_

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Aug 4 01:37:24 UTC 2018

> On Aug 3, 2018, at 9:13 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> "It seems to be a fairly common occurrence _anymore_.”

Yup, that one is definitely a positive “anymore” (with “common”, as opposed to "rare”).  The example is interesting for the geography; South Florida is by no means in the heart of positive “anymore” country, although the construction has been spreading somewhat.    Do you happen to know if the full context indicates that “it”, whatever it was, is being viewed negatively?  That would favor the “anymore" for many speakers.  So, for example, “Wild Alaskan salmon is really expensive anymore” might be more likely than “Wild Alaskan salmon is really popular anymore”.  (I assume both sentences are fine for all speakers with “nowadays” in place of “anymore” and with the same intended meaning.)

> Writer is from and still lives in South Florida, where he's a lawyer.
>
> BTW, FWIW, here in NEPA, the same people who use positive also use
> negative. I'd kinda wondered about that.

As far as I know, speakers who accept/use positive “anymore” also use it in negative contexts.

LH