[Ads-l] backronym of the week: NASTY

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Aug 5 02:36:10 UTC 2018

> On Aug 4, 2018, at 8:39 PM, James A. Landau <JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM> wrote:
>
> https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/7/25/1783521/-Massachusetts-passes-the-NASTY-Women-Act-to-repeal-173-year-old-abortion-ban?detail=emailLL
>
> "Massachusetts [pro-abortion] advocates were officially successful last week when state lawmakers passed The Negating Archaic Statutes Targeting Young Women Act—aka the NASTY Women Act. The bill, whose name is a callback to Trump’s now infamous remarks during the 2016 presidential campaign to candidate Hillary Clinton, will officially stop a Roe v. Wade reversal from automatically banning abortion in the state."
>
> - Jim Landau

Perhaps it’s obvious, but the words in the bracketed material above are Jim Landau’s.  The advocates were identified in the previous sentence by the author of the piece, Wagatwe Wanjuki, as “abortion rights advocates”, not “pro-abortion advocates”.  I think the distinction is a real one, since as far as I know none of them are advocating abortion.

LH