[Ads-l] fuck ton

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Aug 7 15:09:01 UTC 2018

I see Farmer & Henley have “leather” (‘female pudendum’) back to 1540, with a crafty couplet from Robbie Burns:

Hunter, a willing, hearty brither,
Weel skilled in dead and living leather.  (“The Court of Equity”, 1796; cf. https://www.bartleby.com/334/746.html)

F&H also have an entry for “cockles” = ‘labia minora’ but no female-genitalia sense for “cock”; nothing relevant in OED.  Doesn’t settle the question—I’m sure Jon’s theory is sound.

LH