[Ads-l] Is this easier to parse for others than it is for me?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Aug 12 00:28:05 UTC 2018

Tonight on NBC Nightly News, anchor Kate Snow summarized an incident in which an entire parking lot suddenly collapsed into a sinkhole.  One woman had been sitting in her car when it happened, but Snow reassured viewers:
“Luckily, she and no one else was injured”

It’s clear what was intended:  Luckily, neither she nor anyone else was injured.  But I couldn’t say it the way Kate Snow did, with the negation in “no one else” extending over the “she” in the first conjunct, and I can’t remember if I’ve heard it before.  I trolled the web for similar examples, and sure enough I found a few almost identical ones.  Note that the presence of “luckily”, “fortunately”, or “thankfully” blocks the compositional interpretation (as in “she and no else was responsible” = she was, nobody else was) that is much more widely attested.

Queen Latifah was the victim of a carjacking in Atlanta, but thankfully she and no one else was injured during the robbery.
http://www.justjared.com/2016/12/28/video-queen-latifah-falls-victim-to-carjacking-in-atlanta/

[re kart-racer Ashley Rugero]
Her trip to the Kartodromo Internacional Lucas Guerrero outside Valencia, Spain over November 25-29 for the 15th edition of the RMCGF did not go as planned. Her laptimes were right there during practice but slipped in qualifying…A wreck in heat one was marred by an exploding brake rotor in heat two. Thankfully, she and no one else was hurt.
https://ekartingnews.com/2014/12/03/ekartingnews-com-driver-of-the-month-october-2014-ashley-rogero/

My husband is epileptic and Keppra was a med he used to take. He had two major emotional fallouts. One time he got into an argument with a friend of his and he got in his car and stormed off. Ended up totalling his car. Luckily he (and no one else was hurt).
https://www.healthboards.com/boards/epilepsy/754506-can-keppra-alter-personalty.html (I know, weird parentheses, but no doubt the least of her problems.)

Has everyone been saying this sort of thing all along and I haven’t noticed?

LH