[Ads-l] fash

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 13 14:22:30 UTC 2018

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 9:56 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Sign carried by Anarchists yesterday:
>
> "Bash the fash."

Wiktionary is on the case.

-----
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fash

fash (plural fash)

1. (slang, especially in Britain) A fascist, a member of the far-right.

1945, Information Bulletin ..., volume 5 (issues 66-131):
The Butchers Here is an old Munich policeman -- Wilhelm Frick with eyes
like those of a fash.
2017, Katessa Harkey, The Peace of the Hall: Rules of Engagement for the
New Witch Wars, page 90:
It is not they, with their comfortable middle class speaking-tour and
festival-circuit lives, who will put on the black and go punch a Nazi or
bash a fash. No. It will be the vulnerable, overwhelmingly queer, poor
youth [...]

2. (slang, plural, especially in Britain) The far-right, especially violent
far-right demonstrators, collectively.

1996, Ajay Close, Official and doubtful, Random House (UK)
Used to go down to London on bash-the-fash awaydays; turn up at National
Front marches and give them a toeing.
2012, Dan Todd, One Man's Revolution, Andrews UK Limited
Five of our lads had just watched the riot police go into the Wellington
and give the fash a kicking.
2012, Dave Hann, Physical Resistance: A Hundred Years of Anti-Fascism, John
Hunt Publishing
The women in NP at the time were very good spotters and we had good access
to intel, photos etc. on the fash.
-----

See also the "fashy" haircut:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2016/11/30/does-this-haircut-make-me-look-like-a-nazi/