[Ads-l] Capitalizing in the middle of a trade name

Margaret Winters mewinters at WAYNE.EDU
Mon Aug 13 17:49:31 UTC 2018

Chemical compounds aside (as you say, Larry, not trade names), I would venture a guess that the full word compounds may have predated the others which were inspired by the SeaMaster/MasterCard type

----------------------------
MARGARET E WINTERS
Former Provost
Professor Emerita - French and Linguistics
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI  48202

mewinters at wayne.edu

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2018 1:44 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Capitalizing in the middle of a trade name

Sometimes, but not always.  The CamelCase entry at Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel_case) extends internal capitals to chemical compounds (NaCl, 1818), in which of course neither half is a word.  But then again that’s not a trade name.  Other examples include AstroTurf (1967), where “astro” is a combining form, not a free form.  ShopKo (1962-2007, at which point the camel died) is another example in which one of the two parts was not formerly free.  There are, I’m sure, blends, in which neither half of the CamelCase trade name was originally free.  The only example I’m coming up with immediately is the linguist Scott AnderBois, whose last name combines his (Anderson) and his wife’s (DuBois) birth surnames.   Ah, here are a couple from the WikiPiece:  VisiCalc; SeaTac.
[https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ef/CamelCase.svg/1200px-CamelCase.svg.png]<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel_case>

Camel case - Wikipedia<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel_case>
en.wikipedia.org
Camel case (stylized as camelCase or CamelCase; also known as camel caps or more formally as medial capitals) is the practice of writing compound words or phrases such that each word or abbreviation in the middle of the phrase begins with a capital letter, with no intervening spaces or punctuation.

LH