[Ads-l] "muggles" = marijuana (1922)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 16 11:26:12 UTC 2018

I was inspired to look into the marijuana sense of "muggle(s)" after being
interviewed by WGBH about various "mug" words:

https://www.wgbh.org/news/local-news/2018/08/15/youve-probably-said-muggy-a-lot-this-august-ever-wonder-where-that-word-comes-from

J.K. Rowling's use of "muggle" is said to be inspired by "mug" in the sense
of "foolish person." One wonders if the marijuana meaning (which the
dictionaries say is "origin unknown") might have likewise had something to
do with how those under the influence act foolishly.