[Ads-l] Sign language creation game

Mark Mandel mark.a.mandel at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 23 03:35:55 UTC 2018

*Note: Everything in the descriptive paragraph is true. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicaraguan_Sign_Language
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicaraguan_Sign_Language> . I am a sign
linguist; I wrote my doctoral dissertation at UC Berkeley on American Sign
Language, and I have worked with the researcher discussed extensively in
the article; see also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judy_Shepard-Kegl
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judy_Shepard-Kegl> *

*Sign* <http://www.thornygames.com/sign>
*A game about being understood*

Nicaragua in the 1970s had no form of sign language. If you were deaf, you
had simple gestures with a trusted few, likely nothing more than a form of
gesture you negotiated with your family to meet basic needs. In 1977,
something happened. Fifty deaf children from across the country were
brought together to an experimental school in Managua. Without a shared
language to express themselves, the children did the only thing they could
-- they created one. In Sign, we follow a small piece of their journey.

A silent game for 3-6 players in 2 hours.

Best Free Game, Indie RPG Award Winner
Most Innovative Game - Runner Up, Indie RPG Award
Game of the Year - Runner Up, Indie Groundbreaker Award
Golden Cobra Challenge, Honorable Mention

See also
*Birth Of A Language* <https://www.cbsnews.com/news/birth-of-a-language/>
CBSNews.com
April 25, 2000