[Ads-l] Quote: When we are tired, we are attacked by ideas we conquered long ago. Nietzsche?

Mon Aug 27 18:06:34 UTC 2018

The quotation in the subject line is attributed to Nietzsche, and I
haven't made much progress determining its provenance. The statement
appeared in a 1957 collection of quotations as shown below. Columnist
Sydney J. Harris disseminated the saying in the 1960s. It is listed in
"The Viking Book of Aphorisms" compiled by W.H. Auden and Louis
Kronenberger.

[ref] 1957, The Book of Unusual Quotations, Compiled by Rudolf Flesch,
Topic: Idea, Quote Page 124, Harper & Brothers, New York. (Verified
with scans)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
When we are tired, we are attacked by ideas we conquered long ago.
Friedrich Nietzsche
[End excerpt]

An earlier citation would be helpful. A citation in German attributed
to Nietzsche would be helpful. The opinion of a Nietzsche expert would
be useful.

I found a 2013 instance in German within a book by Kevin Lau, but it
appears to be a back translation from English.

Garson O'Toole
QuoteInvestigator.com