[Ads-l] "Monkey this up"

Thu Aug 30 04:15:45 UTC 2018

On twitter Bonnie said "now I see quite a few hits for "monkeying up"
in newspaperarchive.com."

https://twitter.com/btaylorblake/status/1034880843909672960

I can also see numerous matches for "monkeying up" in newspapers.com,
but the meaning varies, and some matches point to the same text in
multiple newspapers.

Here is a match in 1943 with the sense: to botch, to disrupt

Date: January 14, 1943
Newspaper: East Liverpool Review (The Evening Review)
Newspaper Location: East Liverpool, Ohio
Article: Stop 'Undercover' Killing of Livestock
Author: Ben Jenkins (Cleveland Livestock News)
Quote Page 4, Column 5

https://www.newspapers.com/image/65275312/

[Begin excerpt]
They are disrupting the production program, the distribution program
and are monkeying up the whole war-food plan. If that isn't sabotage
then I have missed entirely the meaning of the word.
[End excerpt]