[Ads-l] "Monkey this up"

Margaret Lee 0000006730deb3bf-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Thu Aug 30 10:10:53 UTC 2018

In the African American community, I've always heard it as "monk up," meaning to mess something up.  Or that something is "monked up,"   meaning it is messed up, perhaps to avoid saying "fucked up."  Nevertheless, it is another example of how AAE speakers tend to shorten mainstream words and phrases for their own use, or perhaps hear them differently given the AAE oral culture legacy.
--Margaret Lee