[Ads-l] "Monkey this up"

Fri Aug 31 16:28:30 UTC 2018

> Why wasn't 't a monkey spanner?
>
> Unconfirmed from British Newspaper Archive:
>
> .. the following answers: —l first asked how much pressure he
> had on the safety-valve beyond the ball, and he replied, A monkey
> spanner (that is a screw-hammer) and a key: this weight we frequently
> carry. I next asked him whether he noticed the height of ...
> Published: Friday 28 February 1851
> Newspaper: Stamford Mercury<https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results?newspaperTitle=Stamford%20Mercury>
> County: Lincolnshire, England
> Type: Article | Words: 11459 | Page: 4 | Tags: none

The 1851 match for "monkey spanner" in the British Newspaper Archive
is confirmed.

Date: February 28, 1851
Newspaper: The Lincoln, Rutland, and Stamford Mercury (Stamford Mercury)
Newspaper County: Lincolnshire, England
Article: Sunday's and Tuesday's Posts: The late Explosion in Moulton Marsh
Quote Page 4, Column 4
Database: British Newspaper Archive

[Begin excerpt – double check for errors]
I have this day visited the man who drove the engine on the day of the
accident (James Bucknall): he appeared rational, and I elicited the
following answers:—I first asked how much pressure he had on the
safety-valve beyond the ball, and he replied, "A monkey spanner (that
is a screw-hammer) and a key: this weight we frequently carry." I next
asked him whether he noticed the height of water in the guage glass:
he said it was at its proper height...
[End excerpt]