[Ads-l] old, not bold

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 2 01:32:27 UTC 2018

According to the current film _A Private War_, “There are old journalists,
and there are bold journalists, but there are no old, bold journalists.”

1943 Kendall Banning _Our Army Today_ (N.Y.: Funk & Wagnalls) 152: "There
are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold
pilots."

1955 Charles W. Shilling _The Human Machine_ (Annapolis: Naval Institute
Press) 249: Pilots have an expression: "There are old pilots, and there are
bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots."

1959 _FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin_ (March) 10: Keep this thought in mind:
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old,
bold pilots."

1992 Susan Metzler & Van Metzler _Texas Mushrooms_ (Austin: U. of Texas
Press) 37:  A common quote heard in mycological circles is, "There are old
mycophagists and there are bold mycophagists, but there are no old, bold
mycophagists."

2015 Chase Cole  _The Remorseful Robber_   (Google Books):  There's an old
saying among thieves: “There's old thieves and bold thieves, but there are
no old, bold thieves.”

JL