[Ads-l] NYTimes: "A _fathom_ of lies"

Sat Dec 8 07:42:46 UTC 2018

Dan Goncharoff wrote:
> Perhaps the kid invented a needed word that doesn't exist...

I’ve heard the express “fathomless lies” where “fathomless” means
“unable to be measured or understood; extremely deep.” Conceivable the
student heard “fathomless lies” and constructed “fathom of lies”.

Here is one sample match when I Google “fathomless lies”:
Date: September 9, 1886
Periodical: Boston Medical and Surgical Journal

[Begin excerpt]
The papers that hoist before the public the figures of their
circulation—apt to be fathomless lies— . .  .
[End excerpt]

Garson