[Ads-l] Antedating (?) BYOB and BYOL and BYOS

Sat Dec 22 16:59:25 UTC 2018

Mark Mandel wrote:
> As additional evidence, I take the expression "show them the way to go
> home" as an allusion to the song that begins:
> >>>>>
> Show me the way to go home.
> I'm tired and I want to go to bed.
> I had a little drink about an hour ago
> And it went right to my head.

Thanks for your response, Mark. The 1902 citation below indicates that
the phrase “Show me the way to go home” does occur as a refrain in a
drinking song. Although the song below seems to differ from the one
you suggested.

The famous temperance campaigner Carrie Nation visited the Yale
campus, but she was heckled by students who interrupted her discourse
by singing drinking songs.