[Ads-l] solstice

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 23 18:30:56 UTC 2018

Thank you for the responses.

I wasn’t able to access the Berkeley page, but I found a video that helped me understand the concept of the ecliptic (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95ZfHttIHYQ <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95ZfHttIHYQ>).

I originally looked at “solstice" because Merriam-Webster’s word of the day feature on Facebook defined it as: the time the sun is farthest from the equator. That’s actually the aphelion (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apsis#Earth <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apsis#Earth>), if I understand it correctly, which does not fall on a solstice.

That aside, I think Merriam-Webster’s definition of solstice is unnecessarily difficult to understand.

Formerly of Seattle, WA
Benjamin Barrett