[Ads-l] Miscellany

Mark Mandel mark.a.mandel at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 27 22:19:36 UTC 2018

Well, sort of. That use is literal, but I've never taken the idiom to imply
flames, but just "very high" in some metaphorical sense or other:

- numerical: prices, interest rates, medical readings (blood pressure...),
(dis?)approval ratings...
- emotion: Wilson's enthusiasm example; very commonly anger in a different,
implicit construction ("When she heard about their escapades, the principal
went through the roof")

Ah. Cambridge agrees:
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/go-through-the-roof
:

- to rise to a very high level:
Prices have gone through the roof.

​- (*also hit the roof , informal*) to get very angry:
When I was expelled from school, my parents went through the roof.

Mark