[Ads-l] Miscellany

Fri Dec 28 16:03:03 UTC 2018

The Oxford English Dictionary has information about the phrase
“through the roof” with a first citation in 1946.

roof, n.

[Begin excerpt]
P5. colloq. through the roof.
 a. Esp. of bids, prices, sales, etc.: beyond the expected limit, to
extreme heights. Chiefly to go through the roof .
1946   E. Hodgins Mr. Blandings builds his Dream House viii. 118   The
Knapp sales curves were going through the roof.
1972   Times 24 Oct. 10/3   Only a few special treasures were bid
through the roof.
1973   Times 30 Oct. 19/6   On lots that were rare and undamaged they
[sc. prices] went through the roof.
[End excerpt]

Here is an instance of the metaphorical phrase “went through the roof”
in the domain of commodity prices in 1925.

Date: May 7, 1925
Newspaper: The Akron Beacon Journal
Newspaper Location: Akron, Ohio
Article: Crude Rubber Strikes Peak Price in Years
Quote Page 1, Column 6
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
CRUDE RUBBER STRIKES PEAK PRICE IN YEARS
Crude rubber prices went through the roof Thursday morning and as they
gave signs of continuing to advance, the market suddenly became
completely demoralized, according to White-Seiberling Co., Akron crude
rubber brokers.
[End excerpt]

Why was this metaphor selected? In the price domain I have heard
phrases such as “price ceiling” and “price cap”. If the phrase “price
ceiling” was established initially then one might talk about “going
through the price ceiling” or more emphatically “going through the
price roof” or a “price going through the roof”.

Yet, I do not know when or why the phrase “price ceiling” entered
circulation. Perhaps a graph plot of a constrained price was
reminiscent of a ceiling.