[Ads-l] Miscellany

Mark Mandel mark.a.mandel at GMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 30 03:18:40 UTC 2018

I must somewhat disagree about the metaphor applied to Ichabod's prayers.
ISTM that the "roof" here is the firmament that biblically separates the
earth and sea from what's above, i.e., Heaven, and the expression refers to
more-or-less literal height or altitude rather than to a quantity (as with
prices) or a usual non-quantifiable maximum (as with emotions). Unless
there's counterevidence in the rest of the poem or the letter, it's a
related but different metaphor, much closer to reality than the uses
discussed here hitherto.

Respectfully,
Mark Mandel

[Begin excerpt of message sent from Bill Mullins]