[Ads-l] "a solid" vs. "some solid"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 6 02:07:12 UTC 2018

Around the time that the expression, _do me a solid_ "do me a favor" was
coming into use, I noted that, in StL, back in the '40's and '50's, the
phrase was "do me _some_ solid," with its negative being, "I can't do you
no solid."

Occasionally, I Google this kind of stuff to see whether it may have
appeared in print since the last time that I looked. So...

Can you do Gymnastics with Scoliosis? | Yahoo Answers
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100610000643AAzb6FA
Jun 10, 2010 - "i became entreated [interested?] to do calisthenics and
putting [pulling?] workouts in my freshman and sophomore 365 days [years?]
in extreme [?] college to decrease my scoliosis. That advice would do you
properly[?]. i'd use the pull up bars to hold from, and stretch my back. It
appeared to _do me some solid_."

It's unclear that this means _do me some solid_ in the relevant sense - "do
me some good, help me out" - considering the lack of clarity of what
precedes it. But, "until the real thing comes along," as the song says...
--
-Wilson
-----