[Ads-l] Heard on Forensic files:

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 8 21:48:11 UTC 2018

> I learned the difference between supine & prone in 10th grade Bio. class.

In my case, it was a special exercise, with illustrations, in 9th-grade
English "grammar." _(A)wake(n) (up)_ was given the same special treatment,
minus the illustrations, but with more exercises. Sadly, as far as I can
tell, none of the conjugations of _(a)wake(n) (up)_ as I learned them
- assuming
that they existed anywhere outside of the mind of the textbook's Jesuit
author; they were new to me - has survived beyond 1954, the year that I
(was) graduated (from) high school - except in my memory.

Has _(a)wake(n) (up)_ acquired fixed conjugations in the 21st cenntury, I
wonder?

Youneverknow.

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 7:15 AM, Amy West <medievalist at w-sts.com> wrote:

> On 2/8/18 12:00 AM, ADS-L automatic digest system wrote:
>
>> Date:    Wed, 7 Feb 2018 14:47:01 +0000
>> From:    Margaret Winters<mewinters at WAYNE.EDU>
>> Subject: Re: Heard on Forensic files:
>>
>> Of course those who know Latin grammar are also familiar with supine...
>>

>> ----------------------------
>> MARGARET E WINTERS
>> Former Provost
>> Professor Emerita - French and Linguistics
>> Wayne State University
>> Detroit, MI  48202
>>
>> mewinters at wayne.edu
>>

> Not just Latin: the New Intro to Old Norse uses the term also for the
> neuter nom form of the past participle.
>
> I learned the difference between supine & prone in 10th grade Bio. class.
> It's very easy to use prone to indicate just lying flat regardless of face
> up/down.
>
> ---Amy West

-Wilson
-----