[Ads-l] Antedatings of e-address, n.

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 9 22:13:09 UTC 2018

Just a note - the "path" mentioned here:
I've mailed a copy of this to uucpmap and both #E addresses. (I don't have
a clean path to the AT&T gandalf; I'm trying ihnp4.)

is due to the old "usenet" style of addressing. Those are server names
between the exclamation marks ("bangs" in computerese) with the user name
on the final server being the last 2 words (e.g. wrs @pupthy or gaynor @
topaz)
#E-Address pupthy!wrs
e-address: ...!topaz!gaynor

The "..." there would probably be a list of servers, the path to get to the
server name "topaz". The "gandalf" mentioned is a modem, the early internet
was connected by phone calls between computers. uucpmap ("uucp" - unix to
unix copy, was an early protocol for, er, computer to computer file
transfers) was, I believe, akin to DNS now; a way to store paths to servers
in one location for others to be able to access and use for delivery.  The
files might actually be handed along over multiple calls to different
machine before being delivered.

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 1:13 PM, Hugo <hugovk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Added to the OED in the January 2018 update.
>

> OED: 1994 January
>

> 1985 February 28, Brader, Mark, “Duplicate site name "gandalf"”, in
> net.news.config:
>
> I've mailed a copy of this to uucpmap and both #E addresses. (I don't have
> a clean path to the AT&T gandalf; I'm trying ihnp4.)
>

> 1986 January 19, Somsky, W R, “pupthy - princeton university physics
> theory”, in net.news.newsite:
>
> #E-Address pupthy!wrs
>

> 1986 February 5, Crawford, Matt, “Another diplomacy game begins”, in
> net.games.pbm:
>
> To the five who were not selected I have sent a list of each other's names
> and e-addresses so that they can more easily solicit two more players and a
> GM.
>

> 1986 August 31, Gaynor, Andy, “Re: Build a Better MouseTrap”, in
> talk.bizarre:
>
> e-address: ...!topaz!gaynor
>

> 1986 September 11, Sivaramakrishnan, Anand, “Valerie Polichar's e-address”,
> in net.poems:
>
> [Subject: Valerie Polichar's e-address] I tried to mail you a letter, but I
> couldn't figure out how to get it to you. It got returned.
>

> Links and more details: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/e-address#Noun
>
> Hugo

Andy Bach,
afbach at gmail.com