[Ads-l] antedating "wilco"

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 12 01:50:38 UTC 2018

Wilson, is this the Roger Wilco you remember?

https://allthingsger.blogspot.com/2009/02/delta-bravo-wednesday-advertising-day.html
"Roger Wilco also was the name of the main character in a series of comic
strip ads drawn by Hi and Lois' artist Dik Browne, when he was working for
the comic strip ad agency Johnstone and Cushing in the late forties for
Powerhouse candy bars. Somewhere between 1946 and 1947 a new comic strip
adventure of this he man hero appeared in newspapers all over the country.
The strip and the character probably weren't designed or originated by
Browne, who only signed the May 1947 ad below (the only one from my own
collection, as the rest are taken from micro-fiche copies)."

See the above post for reproductions, as well as these posts:

https://allthingsger.blogspot.com/2009/02/delta-bravo-wednesday-advertising-day.html
https://allthingsger.blogspot.com/2009/02/wildo-two-early-daily-strips-of-roger.html
https://allthingsger.blogspot.com/2009/04/sunday-powerhouse-ads-may-be-only-work.html
https://allthingsger.blogspot.com/2014/11/off-color.html